Montenegro - Citizenship by Investment
In South Eastern Europe, on the Adriatic coast, lies the beautiful Balkan country of Montenegro. The Mediterranean climate offers warm, sunny summers and comfortably mild winters. Rugged mountain peaks allow adventures in paragliding, zip-lining and cliff diving, while the picturesque coast provides a relaxing beach experience. Montenegro has a very rich cultural history with a number of UNESCO World Heritage sites. Luxury tourism, yachting, fine dining and executive real estate are helping to propel Montenegro’s promising economy.
A young country, Montenegro established its own parliamentary democracy in 2006, after breaking from the former Yugoslavia. It is on the accession path to becoming an EU member state and is already a part of NATO. Montenegrin is the official language, with English, Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian and Albanian also common. Income tax stands between 9-11% for residents with non-residents paying 5% on interest income and 9% withholding on dividends and royalties from Montenegro. VAT is 21% except for in hotels and marinas where it is 7%. The corporate income tax is at a competitive flat rate of 9%. Passport holders have the possibility to visit 125 countries Visa-free. Although the process of citizenship only takes 4-6 months, it is exclusive, as the government is only allowing 2000 acceptable applications. At IRC, our professional team can strive to make this dream a reality for you.
Benefits of Montenegro Citizenship
- A competitive corporate tax, minimal income tax and no inheritance tax or taxes on gifts
- Full Citizenship and Passport granted to the applicant, their children, spouse, and parents over 55, with the possibility of dependent siblings or dependent children under the age of 30
- Passport with Visa-free travel to 125 countries with the future possibility of more after EU membership achieved
- No restrictions on Dual Citizenship
- A treaty with the United States allowing a special E2 Visa after a substantial investment in a US business.
- Only one visit required for presence
How to Become a Citizen
Making a significant monetary investment and donation, adhering to rules set forth by the governing authority in Montenegro; Citizenship - by – Investment Program (CIP), can grant full citizenship and passport holder status. Currently, there are 2 investment requirements:
- A minimum of 250,000EUR or 450,000EUR real estate property purchased from a qualifying government project
- A non-refundable donation starting from 100,000EUR to the Government Fund of Montenegro
Real Estate & Donation Requirement
In one of the fastest growing real estate markets, buying a property in Montenegro can be a very valuable transaction. It can be used for a personal business, a second home, vacation home or rental income property. The option of buying on the coast or in the capital city of Podgorica varies significantly with the financial requirement of buying in Northern Montenegro. IRC professionals can help navigate the array of the options in this fast paced market. All recommended, qualifying properties are managed for your peace of mind.
Additional to a property purchase, a non-refundable donation of 100,000.EUR to the Government Fund of Montenegro is also required.
Current fees, which include the donation, are as follows:
For a single applicant; with a minimum property purchase of 250,000.EUR in North Montenegro + government, passport and due diligence fees, the minimum investment is 374,500.EUR. For a property on the coast or in Podgorica, there is a minimum property purchase of 450,000.EUR, for a total minimum investment of 574,500.EUR. A real estate purchase tax of 0.25-1% is issued and additional closing costs of the property are variable.
For a family of four; with a minimum property purchase of 250,000.EUR + government, passport and due diligence fees, the minimum investment is 407,500.EUR. With a minimum property purchase of 450,000.EUR + government, passport and due diligence fees, the minimum investment is 607,500.EUR. If there are more than 3 dependents, a fee of 60,000.EUR will be charged for each additional dependent. A real estate purchase tax of 0.25-1% is issued. Additional closing costs of the property are variable.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and in good health
- Applicant must be a non-EU citizen and have proven financial stability
- Applicants must not be engaged in a criminal court case, or be identified as a security or reputational risk
- Applicants must not have a Visa restriction to any of the 145 Visa-free travel countries
For More Information
For additional information please don’t hesitate to contact the IRC. We provide professional assistance from the beginning to the end of the process and ensure a secure transaction. Property investors can also enjoy a trusted real estate acquisition.